Monday, March 8, 2010

Advice to Young Artists {Chapters 3-4}

Okay so I totally agreed with most of what was said in Chapter 3.  Alot of students come into art expecting to much from the teacher or nothing at all.  I have seen students with an attitude and they think that teachers can not offer them anything.

One of my biggest issues when I transferred to A&M Fall of 2009 was that I found out none of my photography classes from PJC were going to transfer.  I was bummed thinking great now I have to start all over and it's going to be a bore.  Well of course I waited to long to register this past fall so I missed out getting into IDM the first go around.  This gave me time to think......I finally started thinking why am I stressing.  I get to learn different technique from a different artist teacher.  Learning from more than one teacher is something you do throughout your entire college career.  Why was this any different?

So I set my self up that this was going to be a positive thing and it has proved me correct!  I had met Vaughn at one of the PJC art walks a few years back and was really excited to take his class.

I also think it's important for the teacher to keep you updated with current events in art like the author stated in the last half of chapter three.  It's like fashion to me, you need to keep up with the latest artists and know what it is that makes their work stand out.  It's just part of the world!

Now chapter 4, the old & the new.  I kind of see how this applies but I don't think I have been studying the old long enough to really incorporate what is being said by the author.  He says it could a process that could take months or even years to adapt into your art.  That new ways of doing things, are always stemmed from the old things; tradition. 

To keep up with what is new in the art world and incorporate it into your own work doesn't always seem to work.  I mean I feel like it is important to pay attention to what is new but your choice as an artist if you want to incorporate it with your style. 

I do like how Dunning stated that you need to be open.  Try anything & everything, be eager.  That is totally me.  I look at personal or school projects as a lesson.  Something new to be learned and something new to create.  If I fail, I look at it as a total learning experience and move on.  I think critiques are SO important.  I want to know and can take constructive criticism very well.  I think Marvin prepared me for that, LOL.  Although I have heard some of the instructors at A&M are tough.  I get attached to my work so there is always something emotional there for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment